Basically, it's just a matter of speaking.
1. Open the DIRECTV phone app.
2. On your phone, tap Voice in the bottom menu.
3. Tap the microphone and start speaking—naturally, just as you would to another person.
Example: “Show me comedy movies?”
4. The results will appear on your screen. Need to narrow your search? Voice remembers what you said last, so tap the mic and just say, “Starring Will Ferrell?” Voice knows you’re referring to comedy movies starring Will Ferrell.
5. See the movie or show you want on your screen? Just tap it. Or to see more search results, tap the arrow.
You have the option of seeing your dialogue and search results either on your TV screen or on your phone screen. It defaults to your phone screen, so if you want to see it on your TV screen, just tap On TV to the left of the microphone. When you use your TV screen, you’ll even see program recommendations tailored just for you. (To use your TV screen, you’ll need an HD DVR model HR24 or higher, and your phone and HD DVR must be joined to the same Wi-Fi network.)
Watch this video to learn more: