Video Description for DIRECTV
Learn how the Video Description feature can make television and other media accessible to blind or visually impaired subscribers.
How Video Description assists the blind or visually impaired
With the Video Description feature enabled, audio descriptions of a TV program’s key visual elements are inserted into natural pauses in the program’s dialogue. Video Description supplements the regular audio track of the program when information about the visual elements that is not contained in the audio portion of the program. With Video Description, subscribers can listen to audio descriptions of TV shows on a secondary audio channel. Please visit the FCC Video Description Rules page for additional information and a schedule of described programs.
To enable Video Description and Change Language you will need to use these DirecTV remote control buttons:
Change Audio Language
There are two ways to enable Video Description. You can temporarily update the audio setting for the channel being played, or you can change the default audio language from English to Spanish. While changing the default language may make it easier to hear audio described programming as you change channels, some may broadcast silence on the secondary audio channel or use it for Spanish when not airing described programs. For this reason, it may be preferable to temporarily modify the audio language for the current channel only. Once the channel is changed, it will default back to English language.
Temporarily change the language for current channel
With your DirecTV remote control you will use the Info button, the arrow buttons, the select button, and Back button. If you have talking guide turned on, you will hear spoken feedback throughout this entire process. For help enabling talking guide, click the following link: Talking Guide FAQ
1. Press Info on your remote control.
2. Press the right arrow four times. The audio/video menu for the current channel will display. The first item in the menu is screen resolution. If talking guide is on, it will announce the current screen resolution.
3. Press the down arrow twice. If secondary audio is available, it will be highlighted. If talking guide is on, this option will be voiced as “SAP”.
4. Press select once to change from English to secondary audio (abbreviated as SAP). If secondary audio is available, audio will pause briefly while the language change is updated. If there is an extended silence, secondary audio is likely unavailable for the current program even if the channel provides 2 audio streams.
5. Press Exit to exit from the menu.
Note: If English is your only choice is the language menu, you will hear a low pitch beep when pressing the down arrow for the second time while in the menu.
Set default Audio Language and On-Screen Language preferences
If you want to hear video description automatically when changing channels, perform the following steps using your DirecTV remote.
1. Press MENU on your remote control. Menu is the center button in the first row below the power buttons.
2. Press the down arrow 4 times and press select on Settings and Help
3. Press select again to activate settings.
4. Press the down arrow twice, then press select to activate the audio option. Press select once more to enter the language menu.
5. The default language will be shown on screen and spoken by talking guide. Press select to modify it.
6. Press the down arrow until you hear Spanish, then press select.
7. Press the exit button to leave the settings menu.
Need help? Further assistance is available with video description for DIRECTV programming and other customer service needs.