If your receiver detects a high internal temperature, you will see this message:
“”Your receiver is too hot and needs to cool down. Clear any obstructed air vents. The receiver will shut itself off if it continues to overheat.””
The cause for this could be:
- Your HD DVR / DVR’s vents are blocked.
- You have your HD DVR / DVR stacked on top of or underneath other electronic devices, or on a soft surface where the heat is being trapped and therefore insulating your receiver.
If the temperature continues to rise, your receiver will do the work for you and reboot itself. You will see the following things happen:
- The red record light will illuminate
- Your receiver’s fan speed will set to the maximum speed
- You will see this message: “Your satellite box is over the temperature limit. Maximum safe operating temperature is 140°. Current box temperature is x. Cooling down. Please wait.”
How do I fix it?
If the problem isn’t solved by a manual or automatic reboot, please consider the following tips:
- Put the receiver in a well-ventilated area.
- Leave space on all sides of the receiver.
- Keep receiver vents well-dusted and free of debris.
- Don’t place the receiver directly on top of or underneath the TV.
- Don’t place the receiver on top or underneath other electronic devices.
- Don’t place the receiver on a soft surface like a rug or blanket–this causes the heat to insulate.